WatKat is a digital clone of a Wem Watkins Custom Copicat tape echo unit.
It sounds very lo-fi, noisy, irregular. When you turn it off and leave the tape loaded, the tape bends in proximity of the capstan, and this turns into a periodic pitch fall during echo playback; plus, it gets hot and the background hum gets worse in time... you should turn it off every now and then; the tape is never completely erased, and the capstan motor flutters... and it gets worse if you touch it while it's spinning; heads tend to get dirty very soon, in fact you should clean them often. This is true for the actual hardware unit, and for the digital simulation as well!
- Swell: adjusts the volume of the repeats.
- Sustain: adjusts the number of repeats; be careful with this knob!
- Gain 1: volume of input 1 (left channel).
- Gain 2: volume of input 2 (right channel).
- Head 1, Head 2, Head 3: use these switches to select the playback head(s); each head gives a different delay time.
- Very light on CPU and memory.
03 May 2019, FridayX-Wheel of Fortune 6
26 March 2019, TuesdayBreakbeat section update 02
18 March 2019, Monday4 Band Shifter
03 March 2019, SundayElectron ECHO Mini Piano (Kontakt, Ableton Live, SFZ)
15 February 2019, FridayVee Bass Amp
15 February 2019, FridayRangemaster
12 February 2019, TuesdaySoftAmp PSA
12 February 2019, TuesdayRetron
11 February 2019, MondayAutomathico
05 February 2019, TuesdayAudacity